Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Mod reviews.

Hello Humans.

Year 3 Semester 1 comes and goes.

Perhaps I should have a short review before result release in 12hours time so I wouldn't be too bias due to result and perhaps to alter my expectation for this semester.

Well, this semester was tedious in the sense that the content were rather heavy. Yet it wasn't that heavy in the sense that I only took 5 modules and was having a 3-day school week.

HS215 Education and Society (PE)
This module was taught by Genaro, a professor who I thought is pretty okay since I've taken his HS314 and scored a very decent grade. Somehow the grade obtained from HS314 encouraged me to take his module, plus he usually make us submit graded weekly mind maps which forced me to read my readings on time. Moreover, there are usually movies (which are nice) and there was no presentation for HS314. So I added it despite hearing negative comments regarding this module. Another reason would be due to all the clashing and sudden change of timing, if not I would have taken HS208 (inequality) instead.

As usual, his content in lecture was quite limited- short and sweet. I've not much idea what I've learnt except some functionalist perspectives of education, conflict theories and maybe some other recent theories.

Essay was kind of weird too cos what I thought that was expected wasn't really what was expected. Oh whatever, at least I scored a B+, which I think is the average. Tutorial wasn't as good as HS314. That is what I feel. I don't think I have learnt much in tutorial, as compared to HS314. Presentation was quite a waste of time where I just passively sit through the tutorial.

Final examination was like shit. It wasn't something expected for me. But it was the last paper that I couldn't care more (or was it "less"). Honestly speaking, I thought I could have scored better. I wanted to score better for his module cos it seems to be scoreable. I don't really care if there are some really good students taking it but I think... well, so what if they are taking? As in true that our grades are relatively graded, but still I don't think that with strong students taking the modules, me as a weaker student will confirm suffer from a lower grade. Aimed for an initiate grade of A then A-, I'm hoping for a B+ now since my final was a crap. Though deep down I'm still wishing for an A- but I think it would be a miracle. HAHA.

HS301Contemporary Social Theory (Core)
I hate HS301, which I don't even finish the weekly required readings. All the theorists and theories were like bombarded to us, and since I rarely keep up with readings, this means that I'm always lagging and getting more lag and lag. Tutorials were scary too, since I was afraid of being called upon to answer weird questions. But I'm glad somehow harry doesn't know me since he never call me before! HAHA, well it can be really bad since this is the second time he's taking the tutorial room that I'm in. This just reflects how inactive I'm in tutorial. HAHA.

Lectures weren't any better. Every week I was stoning in HSS Auditorium waiting for the freaking 2 hours to pass. I. Feel. So. Nuah. Every. Lecture. Essay was a miracle that I passed with a B-, which I was expecting a C+ and fearful of a plagiarism remark since I didn't really cite my sources accurately. I'm so sorry to those unknown information providers.

Oh well, preparing for finals which like damn torturous? I assigned 5 days for HS301 revision and it took me more than a day to complete one chapter WITHOUT readings. Meaning I only flipped and tried to remember the key stuff in the lecture notes. I was sort of distracted. Nevertheless, finals was... I don't know, at least I felt that those chapters that I spent 1 day per chapter ain't wasted cos they were used, though not used perfectly well. At least what I learnt from my preparation period was useful and applicable to the paper itself. And actually during my preparation period, I get to understand HS301 better and was like "oh so these are what we learning". Third question of Final was testing my crapping skill and i didn't manage to crap the right thing. Too bad I've not enough time for my 1 day per chapter.


I'm hoping for a B or B- this time round, please don't give me a C+. I will never want to see a C+ and below in my result slip. Thank you very much.

HS401 Research Practicum I: Qualitative Social Research (Core)
A module which sort of prepare us for our FYP since it's practical. 3 assignments of ethnography, interview and research proposal were used to grade us. I would say I've done pretty bad for all the assignments since I aren't really interested in those topics that I've chosen. Blame myself, I'm too indulge in last minute thinking and last minute work which I'm bad in. Scoring B for my first 2 assignments sort of determine my overall grade of B, hence I'm expecting a B for overall grade. I'm hoping that my crapping assignment 3 would not pull me down to a B-, which will be disastrous to me. TYY, you're not that mean right?

BU8301 Fundamental of Business Laws (GERPE-Biz)
With this, I've finally completed all my GERPEs! Planned to take this module in my final years but humans are flexible and hence I adjusted my thought and planning. LOL. Lectures were okay, fell asleep sometimes and waking up to stone. Taking it alone ain't that bad too. I can survive. I was glad that I SUed Business Law and I secretly laughed to myself that my SU was well spent this time round. I was happily crap and flip my papers while I was doing my finals. Well, I didn't manage to finish it cos I took too much time to stop and flip and think, but never mind, getting S shouldn't be a problem, I hope.

CS8004 Media in China (UE)
Thanks to CS Sai that I decided to take this module. Adele added this module too, and this is how CS and Adele gets to know each other. Lecture was boring with super many unexplained graphs and videos that are mostly draggy and unentertaining to me. CAs were like crap too. I tried to study but studying didn't help much. I guess I just starred at the notes without processing the information. Online discussion was quite time consuming for me. Not much effort put in as time goes by. Seriously, we aimed for A for this module but now I'm hoping for an A-. I really wanted an A for this module cos I don't see any potential As for this semester in other modules. Yet, finals wasn't as greatly done as what I thought initially. What's the point of writing long essays when the question is not fully well-addressed? I failed to give SPECIFIC examples, and I think would pull me down. Oh whatever, if I don't get an A- please give me a B+!

See, expectation aren't dead, they are meant to be flexible and adjustable! Though 2 years ago I've set the goal of improving my GPA by 0.24 per sem (which is improvement of cGPA by around 0.1), I don't think I can meet the target of 4.24 this semester. I shan't be so harsh to myself. HAHA, overall I want to at least maintain my GPA first and still, I would like to have some improvement though it can be less than 0.24, i just want some improvement.

So, hopefully I will be contented when the result is out IF my expectation are met. I don't mind to be surprised like last semester since it was a pleasant surprise.

Friends, we've tried to do well, whatever the result is, it is what it is. No point mourning too much about it unless after a few days of emo you'll be motivated by it (Somehow I said this to remind myself). I felt that not much hard work are invested this semester despite people commenting that I'm getting more hardworking. Seriously, I can get more serious and be more hardworking. It will come when it have to come.

Loves and goodluck,
Bean.