Tuesday, September 20, 2011

sense of appreciation

Something that was mentioned by Miss Angela Chew, who was my secondary school English teacher, that one should not take things for granted. Of course she didn't phrase it in this way, but she said something similar to that. She said something like people who are opening the door or are pressing the door for you and others are not within what they have to do or what they should do. Yet people take that for granted and often ignore the effort of the person who did something extra. Is saying a "thank you" that difficult? I think people just don't appreciate it, or simply, they don't even think about it as something extra as it is your duty since you're standing near the buttons.

In this bureaucratize society, speed and efficiency seems to contribute to fast paced life of people,who are unable to wait for the doors of the lift to be closed. Do you have to stare at the person who is near the door and signal "Hello, can you damn button since it's near you? it's your damn responsible!". Oh why should the person press the button? The doors will be closed eventually. If you're damn so worry about doors not closing, then why not you just stand next to them so that you can press the buttons asap? 

This man was starring at me in lift as if it is my duty to press for the closing door. HE STARED AT ME. I don't think that I'm thinking too much cos at least I think he did that. Hello, you don't have to stare at me. It's not my job. As a passenger in the lift and wanting to get to my level I did press the button and it's the lift's fault for not closing. Don't give me that stupid damn expression like OH CAN YOU PRESS THE DAMN BUTTON. That's annoying. I was with my friends. I said "DON'T GIVE ME THAT EXPRESSION" to my friend but I was trying to direct at that idiot. I don't know if they get it, but if they don't, I'm performing a convert rebellious (is it?). Anyway my friends were also asking me to press the button and that blinded man seems to be unable to see that I pressed. Why should I be conform to such a social expectation?

Okay, shan't talk so much since I have to do HS401 asap but I need to say it out. Ever since I made sense of what Miss Chew said I think it is very true that we should at least thank them. This is because as one who performed those expectations, I felt so happy and appreciated that people thanked me for my small action. At least I know I'm not taken for granted and I didn't waste my time pressing/opening the door for everyone like a door-opener yet like an idiot to leave the place last. There was once when I left the lift as the second last passenger, I thanked the girl who pressed the door for everyone to get out of the lift first. She look damn happy after I thanked her! A small action should be appreciated.

So people, don't take other for granted. If you don't appreciate me, I'll hate you. HAHA.