Friday, August 16, 2013

People Watching

Hello Humans,

Finally I did a part-time job after 8 months (the last one was for Barclays Singapore 2012 in November). It was just a 4-days job at Takashimaya selling some soft toys cos I guess they were just too desperate to look for part-timers due to shortage of workers.

Being a sales person is really damn sian- mentally and physically. You got to stand the whole day/shift unless during your break or meal time. One day, I was doing my full day shift from 10am to 9.30pm and I was thinking whether I should have 2 breaks of 2 hours for my lunch and dinner or should I have just 1 break of 1 hour for late lunch cum super early dinner so I can earn slightly more. To my surprise I was actually asked whether I wanna take 1 1-hour break or 2 30-minutes breaks! It was really “inhuman” cos imagine that full shift is 11.30 hours, and I gonna stand for 10.30 hours?! That’s is really a physical and mental torture to me. HMMM maybe it's okay for a few days but in the long run I think that it is very bad for the body even if one's body is adapted to this unhealthy lifestyle. An aunty was telling me I will get used to standing after a few days and full shift isn't that common as people usually work in shift. Okay, I hope so cos I saw a few girls doing their shifts while I'm doing mine.

You know that kind of sianness I have while I was working? Here touch a bit there adjust a bit. I tried to do stuffs to keep myself occupied by ensuring that the cuties are in place but I only take care of 2 cupboards and a table with soft toys (it's around 9 of my feet size X 6 of my feet size. yes i was really bored.). Suddenly I understand why salesperson like to constantly tidy up their area -.- HAHA, an evil thought came across: Maybe next time I shall be naughty and mess up the place a bit so they wouldn't be so bored! HAHAHA. My 出发点is out of goodwill one okay! HEE.

The first 2 days were very sian cos I didn't manage to sell anything. There wasn't any crowd but only some human beings walking pass with some popping by to sayang the bears and dogs. Weekend was much better! I wonder if it was weekend or due to the baby/children fair at B2, there were quite a lot of mummies and daddies bringing their kids out. What I wanna highlight here is that there were a lot of hot mummies with their babies! I think their kids are like less than 2 years old and most of the ladies are young with slim figures and fashionably dressed. There were also a handful of young mummies with their children in teens. I’m amazed and I wonder if I’ll be one of them next time. HAHA. Or maybe I’ll be a 黄脸婆?! One of these hot mummies has 2 kids and she actually have 2 maids taking care each of them. HMM.

I also looked at how people dressed and what they carried with them. Most of them were dressed up probably because they were in town, with a handful casually dressed in tee and shorts plus slippers. Most were in pairs, married or unmarried. Why am I the single one? HAHA. Okay random. And I saw a lot of people carrying Chanel bag! It’s like really a lot!This made me wonder if we are all so rich to afford it? Or people don't mind paying more for quality products that can be sold off at a good price (compared to XXX brand bag that you can't even sell it)? Or they wanna to use it to reflect their social status? Or they just like it? HAHA. I gonna admit that I think Chanel bag is so pretty that I'd love to own BUT they are far too beyond my budget and I don't think I know how to take good care of them.

Another interaction with a father and son made me think a bit because to me, soft toys are not meant for girls, instead they are meant for kids and the young-at-heart people like me! A little boy was immersed by a doggy which is really cute but his daddy told him (and me) that he can’t buy it for his boy cos he is a boy, not a girl, so he shouldn’t be playing doll. Of course the little boy tried his luck and kept saying “I want… Daddy I want the dog…” but he didn’t get his way. His dad then continued and say that he has 3 boys at home and boys should play something like toy guns and blah blah blah.. Sad little boy kept looking at the doggy while making his way back to his mummy. ): I was thinking about it and thought to myself that probably I will buy soft toys to my kids, be it their gender, cos soft toys are freaking cute! They are not just a soft toy, but something more. It provides comfort when you're sad. It provides a listening ears if you need one. It will never talk back or fight back. It brings you a smile by doing nothing. It accompanies you regardless of what kind of person you are. It has so many functions that I couldn't finish here.

Oh and I realized that I am really anti-social. Or perhaps I don't have a friendly face and they refuse to talk to me. It's okay. I can survive. I wasn't even bothered much since it's just 4 days and I kept looking at my watch and clock nearby to countdown. I just live in my lala land, do my work and off I go. But I hope that wouldn't be the case when I'm holding a long-term job.

It can be really happy and heartwarming to see innocent kids playing with those toys. Some said goodbye and thanked me for letting them to play the toys for a while. Got manners, I LIKE! HAHA.

Stopped working after 4 days. I was asked if I'm able to work over the long weekend with the same amount of pay. I felt that it wasn't the market rate (though I'm not very sure how it works) and I don't wanna be a cheap labour so I decided to just nuah at home instead of earning some money.

That's pretty much. Till then.

Loves,
Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment